Are you in need of some healthy houmous recipes to make your lunch time more exciting this summer??
Before starting Weight Watchers I could polish off a tub of full fat Houmous in one sitting!!! Crackers, TV and a tub of Moroccan Houmous and I classed that as a healthy lunch time alternative!!!
However, full fat humous is approximately whooping 16 sp on Weight Watchers / 460 calories in one go, not counting the sides I had with it!!!! Still considerably more healthy than other lunch time snacking options out there…. but perhaps not as good for the waist line as first thought!!!
Do you track??? Trust me it really helps make you aware of exactly what your eating!!! It was eye opening for me on the Houmous front!!!
Therefore, I decided to make my own!!!! Surely it’s possible to have a yummy, low point alternative for lunch instead!!! After all it’s just chickpeas, which are high in fibre and protein, which also contain several key vitamins and minerals!!!!
…… and ‘boom’ the life changing moment happened in my house!!! Home made Houmous was tried, tested and guess what…. it’s staying!!!!
With only 1 sp per tablespoon full and a giant tub to last the whole week it’s win win for the upcoming summer season!!!!
So far our favourite flavours are red pepper and butternut squash!!! Stay tuned though I’ll share my new favourites as they come!!
If you too want to make this tasty low point Houmous (or alternatively Hummus) watch my You Tube video below for the red pepper option!!!
Or if you would like to try it with butternut squash this is the recipe below:
Butternut Squash Houmous Recipe
- 2 x 400g tins of chickpeas, drained
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bag of frozen butternut squash chunks ( or use 1 fresh butternut squash cut up)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Put your butternut squash in a ready heated oven (180 degrees for fan, slightly lower is not fan) to cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile place the chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, cumin seeds in a food processor and blend until smooth (add a splash of water if too thick).
- Remove the butternut squash from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once cook blend into a puree and mix in with your already blended humous ingredients.
- Add your smoked paprika and blend well together to get a smooth, creamier consistency.
- Sprinkle some more paprika on top and store in an air tight container in the fridge.
Its really that easy! I hope you have lots of fun trying these recipes yourself. If you do make them yourself comment below and let me know how it went and what your favourite flavour is.